Friday, March 19, 2010

That's Bomber Hockey episode 3


On the eve of our fifth Devils/Bombers classic, I am still reminded of the eve of our first Devils/Bombers game. My excitement to play in a game with actual Devils players was a dream that I thought would never happen. At my age, I thought the chances of the Bombers playing a game like that before I was too old to play anymore were slim at best.

I had seen Bill play in a game against the Devils a few years back, and it looked like so much fun that I would give anything for that opportunity. So as the team met for a pre-game dinner the night before, I felt that the reality of my Bomber moment was finally here.

Little did I know that that night was to turn out to be MY "That's Bomber Hockey" moment, and the Devil game just the gravy. It is an understatement to say that when Tony stood up and gave a speech about how I epitomized Bomber Hockey by my play, inspiring others on the team, I was honored, humbled and speechless. And for the team to decide to put the “C” on my jersey, I just couldn’t believe it. Me- the “old guy” with the least talent to be recognized like that is a moment I will never forget. With all the games played, all the Bombers/Devils Classics-that was by far the highlight of my Bomber career. And I truly thank all the Bombers for that memory-to me THAT’S BOMBER HOCKEY


By Rober' Auld

No comments: